Saturday, October 8, 2011

Birthday Wishes

Back Row Left to Right: Grandma Lila,  Aunt Dottie,  Aunt Ann,  Aunt Selena,  Uncle Pete,  Family Friend
Front Row Left to Right: Unlce Curtis,  Family Friend

Yesterday evening, In the newly opened Neely’s BBQ Parlor, My grandmother  and I sat ,ate, laughed and reminisced as we celebrated her birthday a day early.  We often get to share a good ol' chit chat over a hot cooked meal but typically one she has prepared for Sunday Dinner.  Never without accessories and with no garment misplaced, she came dressed for the occasion in a light grey cowl neck sweater paired with dark crisp denim jeans and a blazer.  An outfit that was no fuss and all chic at the same time.  No surprise to me as I have always known my Grandma Lila ( as my siblings and I call her) to be quite the trendsetter.  One of  my earliest memories were of her making weekend family visits to Brooklyn.  She would saunter into our apartment with the fragrance of White Linen  following directly behind her and leaving a lovely presence when she left. Draped in threads that seemed royal like, neighbors off course looked on.  In amazement and awe I also gawked as she carried herself with such grace.  It was a model of inspiration that I often now mimic as I have grown into womanhood.  In present day she continues to be a great example of  how a lady should carry herself in the world and I am forever grateful for all of the life lessons she has shared. So on her special day I not only want to wish her a happy birthday but I'd like to celebrate her positive influence.  Happy Birthday Grandma Lila!  Thank you for all that you do and all that you'll continue to do.  Your work never goes unnoticed.  I love you!

* Grandma Lila  pictured above in the polka dot sweater. 


12 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your grandma! This was a really really lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Grandma..... Hope you and her had a nice day!
    Nice post!

    HUgs
    JK
    Http://mrkanerule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your granma ! I love mine and I know how important they are :) Kisses from Italy

    Fashion and Cookies
    My Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your grandma:-)

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your Grandma! We also love our Grandmas so much! Very nice post! :)

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!

    SHOP: www.saboskirt.com

    BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. HBD Grandma!!! I miss mine ;(

    I love the title of your blog! I think however you already are....SMILE.

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  7. chats with grandmas are priceless...such a pity to understand that when it's too late. I miss mine so much: enjoy yours.
    Sara C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to your grandma, may she see many more so you can enjoy more time with her:)))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. New to your blog. There is nothing like a grandma, I love just talking to mine and listening to their wisdom.
    Happy Birthday Grandma!

    Check out my blot, and if you follow let me know Ill follow back!
    xo,
    Summer-Raye

    www.summer-raye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful memories you have. I bet your grandmother is a header turner as well. You sure do have her sense of style.

    Did you like the food from Neely's?
    Slow Strut, Rouge Lips, More Than a Fashion Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet post! I too adore my grandma. Happy Birthday G-Ma!!! Kiah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your always welcome to come back.